Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Vacation: The Afterglow

We got home from vacation about 1:00 AM yesterday, deposited our luggage on the floor in the library, and tumbled right into bed for the first good night's sleep I've had in a week!

We weren't due back at work until Wednesday, so it was a good day for sleeping late, and readjusting to our time zone, and that's exactly what we did. The next morning, as much as we hated to see our vacation end, home sure looked good to us!

We woke up to a house that was clean and welcoming, and our sleepy eyes saw things differently now. We saw the house we fell in love with and purchased 13 years ago, and we remembered why we loved it so much. Like most of our guests, we didn't see the small flaws that screamed for our attention before vacation.

We took a walk down the hill to our garden to see how it had progressed during the week we were gone. There were peppers and cucumbers that weren't there before and green tomatoes the size of golf balls that had developed during the week. We heard there was severe weather while we were gone, but the garden had fared nicely. It did look like the bunnies had been munching on our bean plants, but the damage was minimal. We tied up some gangly tomato vines, stopped to admire the garden one more time, and headed back to the house.

Time for breakfast...okay, so maybe it was brunch! I am gluten-free and had been wanting biscuits and gravy all week long. If you or someone in your family is gluten-free, you know the only way you get biscuits and gravy you can eat is to make it yourself, so that's exactly what I did. But I wasn't cooking like I was on a mission to conquer the kitchen...I found myself cooking like I enjoyed it, puttering around, taking my time, experimenting with the recipe, etc. Until vacation, I had forgotten how much I actually enjoyed cooking.

Breakfast and gardening zapped me, so I took a short nap. I woke up refreshed, and ready to embark upon the remainder of our day. The rest of our last leisurely day off was filled with a visit to the antique mall, a Starbucks stop for a S'mores frappuccino, a Qdoba stop to get my taco fix, and a Kroger stop so we could eat this week! All in all, a lovely day. At the end of it, I was tired again and had trouble picking up my feet when I traveled across our plush carpet, but it was truly a good day.

Vacation gives you new eyes, a new perspective, new energy, and a new focus. I'm heading off to work soon, so I'm going to need every bit of that!

Vacation? I highly recommend it!

No comments: