Saturday, January 5, 2019

A Word for 2019

Have you noticed a trend in how people are approaching the new year? It used to be common practice to establish new year's resolutions, but in the last few years, I've seen a shift. Many people are choosing a word or a phrase to carry with them into the new year.

I've never been one to make new year's resolutions because they never lasted more than a week, but I am intrigued with the idea of a guiding word or phrase. So much so, in fact, that I decided to jump on the bandwagon with a phrase of my own.

It all started when two different friends posted the same "game" on social media, asking their friends to comment with a guiding word that started with the first letter of your first name. So, if your name is Susan you might post "shine." If your name is Bethany you might choose "balance."

I chose to comment "dream." What began as a game on social media took root in my heart and I couldn't shake my new word. A couple of days later another friend posted a status about praying for the impossible. I knew then that my phrase was complete:

Dream the Impossible.

This phrase carries so much meaning in so many ways. I had been boxed in at work for so many years that I forgot how to dream; forgot what it felt like to find a bright star, set your sights on it, and head towards that star tiny step by tiny step. I forgot what it felt like to look beyond today. I forgot to what great heights a dream can carry you.

I want to remember how to dream. But I don't want just any dream. I want a BIG dream. I want a dream so big that you might call it impossible. I want a dream so big that only God could make it happen.

I want to dream the impossible.

What do I want to dream of? I dream of writing and publishing a book. I dream of being well and winning over Parkinson's Disease. I dream of having insurance to pay for tests I need to have done. I dream that my husband could come home from his second job and truly enjoy retirement. And I dream that our financial needs would be met on a monthly basis

Dream the Impossible. We serve a God who specializes in those kinds of dreams.

No comments: