Friday, July 10, 2015

What I've Been Missing

Day 5, Friday, July 10, 2015

It's so funny, the little things in life that bring such pleasure.  The same little things that get left out in our day-to-day busyness.  The same little things we never even miss, don't even know they're gone.

Today I folded towels. I can't remember the last time I folded towels. Either I pay someone to do it for me or Mike gets tired of pulling them out of the dryer, and folds them all. I have long protested loudly that I do not like folding laundry and have spent a good deal of time and money proving it.

But today, after I ran out of energy to do anything more, I folded towels and wash cloths. I took my time because the doctor gave me two weeks off work and time is something I seem to have right now. I laid the towels out one by one across my lap, and looked at the pretty patterns. I observed the condition of each one, and relegated some to the rag bag. I made each fold precise and crisp, then delighted in the neatness of it all. Finally, I stacked them up in large fluffy stacks.  How did I miss this tiny little joy? Will I lose it again when I go back to work? I'm afraid I might, and I don't want to. What other sacrifices have we offered up on the altar of busyness? Would I find them all again if I stayed home? Would it be worth it?

Sadly, in the slowness of passing time, I also have extra seconds to notice what seems to be a decline in my general health. That scares me. I'm supposed to be experiencing a surge in well-being. Instead, I feel more shaky then ever, and the tremors seem to be occurring in both my hands today, not just the left hand, as normal. My legs feel like jelly too. I guess I'm hoping this is a temporary result of all the exercise...I don't know what to think, but I am going to keep doing what I know I'm supposed to do -- exercising. I also am very concerned about the swelling in my feet and legs; it, too, seems to be worse than usual. I had so hoped I would see improvement by now. *sigh*

My energy level is back and forth, and I have trouble figuring out a rhythm or rhyme to it. I seem to get tired just as quickly as I do at work, even though I'm not doing even half the work, and it's certainly about 100% less stressful here than at work. And yet, I am just as tired as I would have been at work.

Next Wednesday, I have an appointment with Dr. Halmstead in Mooresville. He is an MD who treats his patients holistically. I have an hour-long appointment with him, and Mike and I have decided that we will do whatever he asks us to. I'm hoping he can connect the dots between some of these symptoms. I'm somewhat concerned that my stomach has been distended for about a year now. Neither my family doc nor my gastro doc were concerned enough even to look at it, blaming it on bloating due to my body disliking my Parkinson's meds. I'm ready for some answers.

On Day One I said I was a little befuddled. t's Day Five and I think I still am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a long comment and it didn't post. *sob Unfortunately, I didn't copy it first. I knew I should have copied it! But I enjoy the posts and think of you from morning until night each day, praying for you all day. I don't want to be a pest and I have work to do also, so I don't text a lot. Let me know when you feel up to having company.