Monday, November 19, 2018

Losing Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is fading away. Or maybe it's just getting squeezed out by Halloween and Christmas. Have you noticed?

Halloween has grown into big business and takes more than its share of money, time, and decorations. It screams and growls and groans and moans while Thanksgiving quietly waits to be noticed.

On the heels of Halloween, Christmas rushes in on a Hallmark wave. Hallmark's noisy Christmas festivals and happy carols steal our attention and affections.  And all the while Thanksgiving still waits in a quiet corner.

Halloween hangs on long and tight and Christmas barges in early and loud. Thanksgiving doesn't stand a chance.

This year, for the first time, I fell prey to the American disregard for Thanksgiving. I didn't exactly forget about it...I'm cooking for 18 people that day. It's more that I find myself overlooking it. All the while I'm planning Thanksgiving dinner, I'm looking forward to Christmas. I'm balking at putting up fall decorations because, after all, they'll only be up for a short time. I'm even considering putting up some Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. I've never done that before and I'm feeling guilty.

What's wrong with me?

I could blame Hallmark, but I'm too much of a fan. I could blame retail establishments and their advertising, but they've always advertised too early. I could blame Joe Public, but I'm not a blame shifter. No, this is my own fault.

By overlooking Thanksgiving, we're missing out on the sweetest blessings. Here are a few of the things the unobtrusive Thanksgiving holiday brings to my family gathering:

  • An opportunity to visit with family members who live far away
  • The ability to bless others by opening my home to them
  • A moment to breathe in between the loud noisy holidays on each end of Thanksgiving
  • A time to bid autumn a fond farewell and pay it homage one more time this year
  • A chance for the whole family to gather together and visit
  • A time to exercise gratitude and encourage others to do the same
  • A time to bless my family by making them feel special and expected
  • The chance to pull out all my good dishes and flatware in an effort to treat my family to the very best
Here's to re-claiming Thanksgiving! Take it by the hand, pull it out into the light, and celebrate all the goodness it brings!

C'mon out, Thanksgiving! I'm ready.

No comments: