Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Meditations

Early Morning
Christmas Meditations

It’s too early to be late;
And it’s too late to go back to bed.
I look outside and down the hill.
Even the highway is silent, black.
I’m awake.

So I tiptoe through the house,
Turn on all the Christmas lights
And sit in front of them,
Cuddle under a blanket,
Childlike.

We have a new tree topper
Made of branches and vines.
It’s rustic and simple and warm,   
Not quite spectacular.
A star.

It reminds me of the honesty
Of that first Christmas night:
Tired mama, desperate daddy
Young, overwhelmed, uncertain,
Afraid.

Unfamiliar countryside,
Bustling people, pushing, loud
Mama begins to cry,
Daddy sees a hostel and calls out to
The innkeeper.

I don’t know if it was a cave,
Maybe it was a just a house
Where people and animals slept
But I know there was no room
For a baby.

Not even for a little tiny person
From the house and lineage of David,
Not even for a baby whose name
Was God with Us, Messiah,
Jesus.

How can a person be at once so tiny,
Be so kingly, so qualified, still so common,
The joy of peasant parents,
Meant to carry the destiny of the world
On His shoulders?

Before He was birthed in Bethlehem,
Before time, when he was I AM,
His days were allotted, chosen, assigned.
He would be misunderstood, unjustly accused,
Crucified.

A heavenly baby wrapped in humanity,
Baby with a burden of knowledge,
Born with a mission, a purpose.
Was there ever a moment
Of innocence?

I look again at the star
Resting atop our tree.
Lowly symbol, humble beginning
Baby now exalted, God of the universe.
Savior.

All our toys, our paper and bows and noise,
The self-gratification, intolerance,
Willful, selfish focus, the expectation,
Oh, God, forgive us.
How could we?

So great a sacrifice ignored,
Humble beginnings exploited
God of creation abandoned
Gift of life pushed away,
Shunned.

God forgive us our failures,
Make our unwilling minds remember,
Our selfish hearts repent.
Empty us, so you can fill us with
Your love.

It’s still too early to be late;
And It’s too late to go back to bed.
I look at our tree topper, our star.
My heart sings with joy. I am alive.
I’m awake.

--Dory Oda

No comments: