Thursday, October 11, 2018

Making Peace with Mrs. 31


I’d never met Mrs. 31, but I’d read plenty about her and I was pretty sure I didn’t like her. People referred to her as Mrs. Perfect because she was. Her household ran seamlessly, her business prospered, she volunteered time and money to various charities, and she was the perfect hostess. Meanwhile, I couldn’t even keep my toilets cleaned.


I had to know her secret, so one day I paid her an unexpected visit. Her home was modest and not at all what I imagined. When I rang the doorbell, a woman old enough to be my grandmother answered.

“Hi, I’m looking for Mrs. 31.”

“I’m Mrs. 31. Please come in, Dear.” A pleasant laugh bubbled from her lips, and wrinkles couldn’t hide her still-pretty face. Her clothes were crisp and fashionable, and her body slim and able. “Won’t you sit down? How can I help you?”

I decided the direct approach was best, “I’m here because I read the write-up on you in the Proverbs Times, and wondered if you might give me some tips. It sounds like you have it all under control, and frankly, I need some help in that area.”

“Dear, let me assure you I’ve never had it all under control.” Her eyes twinkled and she winked and said, “Excuse me for just a moment while I fetch some tea and cookies.”  

While I waited I looked at the pictures on her wall;  a sewing shop and a vineyard, someone in a judge’s robe, a group of ladies delivering food, and another group quilting. I looked at her bookshelf, and was equally appalled and relieved to see that it needed to be dusted.

Just them Mrs. 31 came back balancing cookies and tea on a wooden tray.

“Mrs. 31, the column I read said you get up early to make breakfast for your maidens. Are they off work today?” I shouldn’t have asked, but I had to know. I secretly wondered who even had maidens these days, how she could afford them, and why, according to the Proverbs Times, she prepared food for them, instead of the other way around.

“Oh, my goodness, it’s nothing like that,” she said. “It’s just two college girls I hire to do odd jobs for me to help them earn tuition money. I always make breakfast on the days they work, just in case they didn’t have time to eat at home. We enjoy that time together. But it’s Wednesday, so they’re both in class right now.”

I pressed on, “The article said you had a sewing business, and also a field you turned into a successful vineyard. How do you do it all?” Again, I knew I was pushing the boundaries of common courtesy, but I couldn’t seem to help myself.

And, again, Mrs. 31 was gracious, “Oh my! I didn’t do it all at once--why, no one could! These things were in different seasons of my life. When my children were small, I took on fewer outside tasks and responsibilities. Now that they’re grown, I’m free to take on the ministries you young moms can’t do right now. God designed it that way!”

She continued, “You know, one thing I have loved doing in every season, though, is sewing. I still enjoy sewing and crocheting.  And I always make something extra to give to someone in need.”

“Dear, would you come look at something?” She crossed the room and opened the doors of a large wardrobe. “See here? These afghans and quilts and pot holders are all made ahead so I can take one to someone who needs comfort. And see all these candles and cards and bookmarks? They’re ready for me to make a basket for someone in need. That fellow from the Proverbs Times nicknamed it my Proverbs 31 Closet and I kind of like that name.  It ’s not expensive to make your own Proverbs 31 closet. If I find candles on sale, for instance, I just buy two instead of one, and I put the extra one in here.”

“Mrs. 31, thank you for being so gracious to share with me.  I do have just one more question, though. The Proverbs Times said your arms were strong. When did you get time to go to the gym? It sounds like you were already getting up before dark.”

“Well, I did get up before sunrise because I wanted to see my husband off to work. He works at the city gate -- you know he’s a  judge here in town--and I liked telling him goodbye each morning. As far as the gym goes, I was working so hard at the vineyard that I didn’t need a gym!”

I was ready to collect my things and go when she continued, “You know, you asked me a lot of questions, but I’d like to share one thing you didn’t ask:  All these things are an outpouring of God’s love in my life. I want to be prepared when a need arises, no matter what season of life I am in, so I can pass the overflow of His love on to someone who needs it. It doesn’t cost much to just be ready, Dear, now does it?”

I said goodbye to Mrs. 31 while my mind was busy turning one word over and around again:  Seasons. There are seasons of life that call us to service. The seasons don’t happen all at once, but God makes us ready as they come.

When I got home, I found a little box that would slide under my bed, and I labeled it  “Proverbs 31.” Then I got out a notebook and began writing. I thought I would return from my visit with a list of things to do. Instead, I had a list of things to be:

  1. Be Kind  
  2. Be Prepared  
  3. Be Industrious  
  4. Be Faithful

I didn’t receive the answers I expected; instead, I got the answers I needed.

**************************

Read: Proverbs 31
Worship:   Contemporary:  Save my Life   https://youtu.be/jGcpNq89IGo
OR Hymn:  Take My Life and Let it Be   https://youtu.be/lQ93HVuYd5Y

Meditate:  What season of life are you in? How does Proverbs 31 apply?

No comments: