Thursday, January 10, 2019

Don't Let Me Be...

...that kind of person.

Lord, don't let me be the person who rejoices when another is caught in wrong-doing. Don't let me be the person who thinks being right is more important than doing right. Don't let me be the person who sets about to uncover the unlovely in others, even if it helps prove my point.

Philippians 4:8-9 (ESV) says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

Lord, help me rightly respond when
  • A politician of the opposing party is caught in a lie.
  • Someone who has wronged me is caught up in a tragedy of life.
  • That person I struggle to like is found with fault.
  • Others mount a public charge against one who is unintentionally wrong.
  • Social media "friends" attempt to sweep me along into their diatribe against policy, politicians, authorities, retailers, and 101 other things and people.

Lord, don't let me take delight in these circumstances. Remind me that all I am is only because of you. Repeat to me that I am not better than another of your creations. Restore my heart to loving and building up instead of tearing down. Release my desire to be right. Replace it with a desire to be single-focused on the task you have for me. Redeem me when I fail.

And while I do these things, Lord, help me stand firm against sin. Help me tell the truth, but let it be done in love. Help me recognize wickedness and call it out in a way that honors You, not me.

It's a fine line to walk, this task of not rejoicing in someone else's wrong-doing, but at the same time, calling out sin. How do we know the right way to approach wrong-doing? Here are some principles I am going to incorporate to help guide me and keep me true, because I am prone to arguing and "needing" to be right.

  1. Will my comments influence another person to do right? Or am I publicly railing against a politician or political party because I want to be heard, or win a debate?
  2. Do my comments point to God? Or are they structured to make me look good?
  3. How will I feel if I can't convince someone of their error? Will I be saddened because of their spiritual condition, or will I be angry because they didn't listen to me and respect my opinions?
  4. Am I sure I'm right? Maybe I should begin by examining God's Word and my own heart.
  5. Is the Holy Spirit prompting me to address this wrongdoing? Or am I simply looking for an excuse to tout my own opinion or win an argument?

Every wrong doesn't have to be addressed. Every fault doesn't have to be brought to light. I am not tasked with righting the world. I'm only tasked with keeping my own heart right with God and acting in accordance with His Word and the Spirit's leading.

Lord, don't let me be that person who rejoices in another's fault.

No comments: