Saturday, May 20, 2017

I Want...

I want...something, but I don't know what it is. I feel unsettled.  I'm vaguely unhappy and I don't know why. I'm feeling empty, tired, and in need of something different.

Sound familiar? It's certainly an old and comfortable chorus in the song of my life. I revert to this stanza regularly, and I never seem to find answers to stop the coda of repeats. It seems that I always end up back on this verse, rehearsing the restlessness, singing the blues, holding out for the next thrill, drumming my fingers, wishing for who-knows-what.

And then, out of the blue, today it hit me. I'm not missing anything. I'm not empty. I'm not unfulfilled. I'm just falling for one of the oldest tricks in Satan's handbook.

Discontentment.

Discontentment makes you want something more. Makes you believe that something is missing. Obscures the blessings that come your way. Deceives you into thinking the next thrill will satisfy you. Causes you to lust after the world. Keeps you off balance. Makes you ineffective in your day-to-day life. Derails your focus.

Discontentment is believing a lie that keeps you perpetually waiting for something to fill you. Your self-focus on fulfillment stops you from ministering to others. As a matter of fact, it stops you from any outward-focused activity at all.

What if we stopped entertaining restlessness, stopped looking for something to consume. What if instead, we counted our blessings, reflected God's love? Would the restlessness go away?

I'm sorry for the restlessness I have entertained and nurtured. I am already full, already blessed, already fulfilled. I just forgot for a moment.

"Count your blessings, name them one by one; count your blessings, see what God has done..."

No comments: